Friday, January 10, 2014

TREASURE


Beautiful things don't ask for attention.



It has only been two days that I got back "home" (...). Well as this is my sequent third year starting in Paris, which is so far my all time record, I guess it is about time to call this place home. And to be honest, but please keep it secret, my shoe cartoon apartment really starts feeling like home, which after almost 10 years after having left the family nest in Luxembourg and foreign ground under my feet, is kind of comfortable.

After fantastic holidays in Luxembourg, including catching up with good friends and completed by a memorable weekend with special guests, I have recovered enough energy for the upcoming two months, where I will literally be nesting in my apartment, which I will only share with my schoolbooks (I will hopefully not end up nibbling them due too much "hibernating rodent nest" behavior).

Relating to rodents, a month ago, on my weekend trip to London, I had the pleasure to meet the tiny guy you can see in the two pictures above. I was very fortunate because obviously London showed its best side with blue sky and sunlight and foremost, just like in Brussels, my friend Lynn lives again in a house with an amazing backyard. A hidden treasure no one would even imagine in a city like this. This amazing view was already food for my eyes and inspiration until I got absolutely overwhelmed by this perky squirrel. He totally made my day.

Those are moments, where as a photographer you will find yourself in a  dilemma because you have to make a difficult choice, which has been very well illustrated in Ben Stiller's "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". 

Walter Mitty: "When are you going to take it?"
  Sean O'Connell: "Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally,
I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it."
Walter Mitty: "Stay in it?"
Sean O'Connell: "Yeah. Right there. Right here."

Those private treasures that belong to you and your memory. It is not about not willing to share it but about missing out on the moment as you are so focused on capturing it, in order to make it last forever in the future. And it is kind of the same thing with life, some are so busy to make a living and forget to live, some are so ambitious in their career that they forever miss the passion for the actual current job, ..., all of them have forgotten that the journey is the reward, and when you reach your destination, it starts all over again.