Sunday, May 31, 2015

ON TIME


Maxime Willems
LIFE BEHIND MY LENS



Chapter 9


                                                                                                  L'amour dure trois ans according to the French author Frédéric Beigbeder. In this case, 22.833 pageviews, 150 blogposts and 9 chapters. No, I am not kidding and yes you got it right; I am officially typing the last lines of this book. Heartbroken - totally! but if I am honest, it is about time to face the final curtain. Throughout the last year it became clear that this couldn't last much longer. Many have noticed the irregularity of the posts, the absence of text underneath the pictures, the lack of passion between the lines. During the past 3 years, something somewhere went terribly right and today the only certainty seems to be that nothing is as it once was. It takes courage to admit that we have grown apart but as silly as it may sound, I guess that's life. Carrying on would be tremendously unhealthy for both sides and with all the respect one can owe to a blog, LIFE BEHIND MY LENS. TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN deserves to remain taintless.

For the past three years and a half LBML was more than just a blog. At the same time; a column of an era, a personal diary, a psychological study, an aesthetic essay, a coming-of-age tale. During this entire time, this place was my creative outlet, largely defined by Proust & Co. I'll never forget the grey afternoon in early September when I moved into my Parisian shoe box appartment and clicked on the "publish" button.

Ever since, I have outgrown my former self and I must confess, it's time to move on. "Regrets, I've had a few; but then again, too few to mention. I did what I had to do. And saw it through without exemption. Yes there were times, I'm sure you knew, when I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, it ate it up and spit it out. I faced it all and I stood tall; and did it my way!"  Nevertheless, something new and different will soon see the light of day. I just couldn't start the next chapter while rereading the last one. So here we are, where it has to cease. On time - the end of an era, the beginning of the future and the long moment in between.

Yours faithfully,

Maxime