Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TOSCANA CASUAL #DIRECTOR'S CUT#




With the exception of an identical start date (August 4th) the trip to Italy had nothing in common with the one previous summer. Already the fact that this was a road trip with friends, while Mexico was my very first trip abroad visiting friends.
So how could I dare to compare ? I guess because I always do so (?), very bad habit, very bad. So even on that level I had to learn how to let go. Let go the idea that the 3 weeks in central America were perfect, that nothing could top or even come close to it. I should, would and could not compare the two.
Tuscany should, would and could not be better; only different. Incomparable.
The only common ground should, would and could be amazing memories and many pictures.

I had to stop the brooding. Therefore I had to decide to do so.
During the first 5 days I constantly excused myself by thinking that the moment would come where there won't be anything left to think about but it was not that easy and the most improbable resolution that could happen to a person like me. Any guru would have advised me a yoga lesson which is about self-mastery and the dedicated effort to haul your attention away from your endless brooding over the past and your nonstop worrying about the future so that you can seek, instead, a place of eternal presence from which you may regard yourself and your surroundings with poise.

So, once I did allow myself to let go and  finally could breathe, I was able to appreciate :
The tremendous beauty of the countryside, the historical architecture, the silence, the flavor of this absolutely delicious cuisine (forget the French with their so-called sophisticated empty plates), the wine, the view, my books and my friends.

In the middle of the Italian nowhere I finally stopped to fight against myself.

BEHIND THE SCENES : During the 5 days of brooding a) i only took ugly pictures and started believing that I'd lost this talent (my only talent by the way ...), b) I took 3 days to read one chapter in a book of 118 chapters. I invaded the entire first floor of the apartment in Florence. I finally got myself a new bikini. I had a fight with a rosemary bush. I started to believe that chlorine has an effect on my behaviour as I can't stop giggling and laughing out loud as soon as I am inside a pool. I ate one kilo of grapes in two days. My friends are convinced that I have a criminal core as I always suggest to leave without paying. The good news about Italy is that "compared to Mexico" I didn't have the runs due to too spiced food and No I still don't understand Italian.